::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

May 21, 2005

Gregoire's A-

After hearing both Melissa and fellow foodie friend Carol rave about this tiny take-out place on Northside, I finally convinced Mel to take me there. Shattuck Ave. on Northside is really a mecca of eclectic dining experiences from Party Sushi to Barneys to Cesars to Poulet to Gregoire's and most of them are worth your time. If any of you remember back to our freshman year (2001-2002), there was actually a KFC somewhere there.

Back to this adorable little place: it really is tiny- a small counter with a view of the entire equally tiny kitchen. The menu is seasonal and features mainly sandwiches. I ordered the rack of lamb with carmelized onions on ciabatta, which was so-so. Melissa ordered the calamari and white bean salad on some sort of bread as well. All sandwiches run for about $6-$8 for lunch. The dinner menu is a little more extensive/expensive so figure around $15 per entree. However, the highlight of Gregoire's and what drives Carol to make the trek often are the potato puffs. When I first heard of this dish, I pictured this light, airy creme puff type dish. But imagine the creamiest, tastiest mash potatoes you've ever had, deep fried with a crispy outer shell and dipped into an herbed tartar sauce. Yeah, they are good. At $6 for about 8, it's a great start to any meal or a meal by itself.

Overall, it's a place you have to try out while in Berkeley. 3 cool points for knowing about it. ;)

I'll let Melissa write more about Hong Kong East Ocean Restaurant- where I had my graduation lunch today, but let me say they had the best luo bo gao me and my family have had. And not a shabby view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home