::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

February 27, 2005

Ryowa B

Tucked between Eastwind Books and a random pizza place, Ryowa is a non-descript noodle house on University just past Shattuck. You enter and face a soji screen, turn left right into a bookshelf full of manga. It's that Japanese, ladies and gents. My friend Carol introduced me to this place a while back and I went back recently with an old friend. I ordered the regular ramen ($6.75), which features a pork and chicken broth, plentiful ramen noodles, actual pork, and a hard boiled egg. Now, this isn't the Korean style ramen that you might be used to. Ryowa serves traditional Japanese noodles, and the richeness of the stock takes getting used to. The egg comes fully cooked, which was slightly dissapointing. However, on every table is plentiful seasonings as well as a small crock of kimchee. My friend orded the vegetarian ramen, which came with a vegetable broth and too many vegetables to name. And tofu, I guess. While that soup is tasty, I highly recommend the regular soup base for its flavor. The very basic menu also features gyoza and other appetizers and an affordable lunch meals. While Ryowa isn't my favorite noodle house in Berkeley, it's a welcome change once in a while to Ph or Bear's Ramen. If you find yourself downtown and looking for refreshing noodles on a cold night, try it out.

1 Comments:

  • At February 27, 2005 at 5:33 AM, Blogger carol said…

    for a ramen house, their ramen really isn't my fave thing on the menu. i'd recommend the mabo don, the fried rice, special gyozas, and special fried chicken. on a hungry day, i get a combination of all those things and end up eating all of it. mmmmmmm.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home