::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

September 15, 2004

Claim Jumper

In celebration of the ageless Dave Lai's 24th birthday, an ecclectic group of pals ventured east into dar woods to steal territory clearly demarcated as anothers. In simple terms, we visited the homage to meat and more meat known as Claim Jumper. Now, Concord is the land of the few. Why would you really go there besides to eat at this very establishment? Lord only knows.

Now, I have to admit- I like myself some ribs. And on the rare occasion that I can partake in such gluttony, I like to go all out. So I ended up sharing what apparently is the holy grail at CJ's, the Ore Cart. Featuring three types of ribs and seemingly superfluous rotissere chicken, this dish is $26.99 of meaty goodness. The baby-back ribs were tender, falling off the bone with just the right amount of sauce. The St. Louis ribs were a little dry in comparison, but filling. The chicken was very juicy, and not just "filler" as Abe called it. (As was the potato, the sourdough bread and the garlic cheese bread) However, I'm a sucker for beef ribs. Baby-back ribs are nice. They are easy. But beef ribs- that's some serious stuff. You have to work at it, and that, my friend, is what ribs are all about.

Now, you have to understand that every time Dave eats at CJ's, he orders the I-Declair, an eclair the size of a football. Add the seven-layer chocolate cake, and you have our dessert that night. Both were very good, very rich and the night ended with most of the whipped cream on Dave's face. Overall, a very nice way to end a great Saturday (Go Bears!) with lots of people enjoying mounds of food. The prices range from about $15-30 dollars, but most plates are great for sharing and even then, you're guaranteed leftovers for tommorow.

Next time, however, I'll get the cheese potato pancakes, which Joyce called the "fried heart attack."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home