::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

May 12, 2004

King Dong Chinese Restaurant

I'm not too sure how I like this new blogging interface. It's too cartoon-y for me, too 6th grade.

For a brief week, my lovely fellow food chick and I reveled in the prospects of living together next semester. But it seems that providence has dashed those dreams.

With finals and end-of-the-year stress upon us, I find myself a little frazzled and a lot hungry. John and I had dinner Sunday night and I was being pretty pissy about not going for Japanese food. He recommended a Chinese restaurant called King Dong on Shattuck and between Channing and Haste, and I went along reluctantly as I am weary of Chinese restaurants in general. However, we entered to find the restaurant bustling with take out orders and families dining in. John was craving the Mushoo Pork and a friend of his recommended the King Dong Chicken, so we shared the two dishes. Now, I never quite knew what Mushoo Pork consisted of, but I was pleasantly suprised by the stirfried pork, cabbage, vegetables, bean sprout medly that came with four tortilla type wrappers and plum sauce. The plum sauce gave the dish just enough flavor and there was plenty of filling to satisfy the two of us. The King Dom chicken is fried chicken cutlet in a ver spicy garlic sauce. Although the sauce was tasty, the chicken was a little dry and was breaded a little thick. A bucket of rice cost a whopping $.80 extra. Located just minutes from downtown Berkeley in the ghetto direction, King Dong was a very pleasant surprise. Prices ranged from about $7-10 dollars for dinner and slightly cheaper for lunch. If you are looking for a solid Chinese restaurant, the popularity of King Dong speaks for itself. The take-out pick up line was about 3 people long the entire time we were there. Check it out when you are tired of hitting up the same generic Chinese places. And avoid the shady massage parlor next door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home