::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

May 30, 2004

Foreign Cinema

Once in a blue moon, there is an occasion worthy of a hip, expensive restaurant. Graduations, perhaps, or anniversaries. On those occasions, you can justify eating at places like Chez Pannise or Farallon, restaurants you see featured on the Food Network and in inStyle magazine.

On the occasion of my friend Carol's bachelorette party, I thought it would be fitting to take her out to Foreign Cinema, a trendy restaurant in the Mission district in San Francisco. THe night before the party, I opened up my issue of Newsweek to find the restaurant had been featured in a special on outdoor dining. There is nothing like having your choice be backed up by some big name publication.

The outside of the restaurant is innoculous, tucked away in a seedy portion of Mission, between 21st and 22nd. A long corridor leads to the actual industrial-style restaurant, with minimalist tables, chairs and benches. There is a small bar in the back that serves cocktails for about $7-8. Try the Blood Orange or the Vixen. Indoor seating features the warmth of a massive indoor fireplace, but outdoor seating is where the name of the restaurant comes in. After nightfall, a monthly foreign film is projected onto the outdoor wall and sound played softly through drive-in movie speakers located along the walls. If you try the place during the summer, be careful as the film doesn't begin to play until about 8:45.

The menu features a very ample oyster selection, with more than 15 varieties of oysters. I bought two Miyagi for Carol and I to try (her very first!) and they were both fresh. If you've never had raw oysters, go to a renowned establishement and try with just a sqeeze of lemon. Raw oysters are probably the best food I've ever tasted, though only on special occasions. Single oysters priced at $2, half a dozen at $12 and a dozen at $18-20.

However, there is more than the oyster bar. Ladies at the table tried the roast chicken (18), the lamb loin (24), the pasta (17) and the poached salmon (23). In all honesty, the best value would be the roast chicken, which was herb marinated and came in copious amount. I ordered the lamb, which was pretty sparse as far as amount of food, but came atop a very tasty lemon risoto. Shelly's salmon was also delicious, but a little too rare for her taste. (but good in my opinion) The meal is served with very good bread which was very quickly refreshed.

At any of these pricey places, the amount of food you get for your money will always be a problem. You must go into the experience knowing that you are paying for the ambiance and the name and not the amount of food. At Foreign Cinema, the atmosphere is lively, the service friendly, and the food delicious. Check your budget before you go.

2 Comments:

  • At December 8, 2005 at 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lydia ,I just installed a wood stove in my basement.Outside I installed a new patio and ran the stove vent pipe out the basement window.I had the patio guys concret the window in with the vent pipe.I purchased a wood burning stove myself online Faux Fireplace.Looking forward to using it and saving on the cost of using gas. Anyway take care until next time ...

     
  • At December 9, 2005 at 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lydia ,Just read your blog this post Winter time and heating the home .... I loss power for 3 days about a month ago and I decided to get off the grid somewhat. Since to heating is gone thru the roof , with the high cost of energy I have started a site about Fireplace Glass Door .I purchased a wood burning stove myself ,but I have found the installation much more a pain then I could of every thought.The whole Fireplace Glass Door subject fit in I believe with your blog,sorry if if I wrote too much. I shall return !!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home