::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

February 07, 2005

Filippo's Pastaria B+

Located in the ultra yuppy College/Elmwood District a few stores down from La Med and Shin Hua, this quaint Italian restaurant is what Lydia called a "glorified Pasta Pomodoro." To a large extent, I agree with her. To test her hypothesis, I ordered the same dish that I had at Pasta Pomodoro a few months ago- butternut squash ravioli.

I went to Sunday brunch there last weekend with a few of my girlfriends. The menu offered a nice selection of breakfast items ranging from 5 to 8 dollars. I opted for the lunch menu item, costing me about $8.95. Swimming in a few tablespoons of browned butter and sauteed sage, the seven ravioli on the plate were small to medium-sized. I love butternut squash ravioli for the hint of sweetness and creaminess that the dish provides. If you want to be full of carbs, this probably won't be the best selection for you. I opted to share half of my dish with my friend Katrina, who ordered my second favorite item- a caprese (basil, tomato, fresh mozzarella) panini (pressed & grilled sandwich)with basil pesto that cost $7.95. The thin crusty bread that they used for the panini was delicious.. however, I would have preferred the mozarella to have been a bit more melted, but overall a good choice.

Our lovely friend Jina suggests ordering their chicken gemelli, with a special request for their tomato-cream sauce. I'll have to save that one for the next time. So.. who wants to go out with me?

The prices are comparable to Pasta Pomodoro, however, the closer location to campus provides a bit of convenience.

Check it out, let us and the world know what you think. The Comment option is open to all.

cheers,
melissa

1 Comments:

  • At February 9, 2005 at 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just there with a friend last week as well. Among the more notable dishes we ordered were the spinach ravioli and mussels. However, i felt that the ravioli was a bit too al dente, and the mussels' lemon flavor a hint too strong.

    The ambiance was decent, considering how close it is to campus. But I also think the atmosphere inside was a bit too noisy to hold an intimate conversation. Also, I think the dishes were a bit overpriced. A fun place to bring friends, but I think there are better options for a date.

    If you go next time, get the tartufo for dessert. Although different than others I have tried (plainer), it was still tasty!

    -Kevin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home