::the food chicks::

two berkeley girls love food and love talking about food

March 08, 2004

With the weekend comes a plethora of oppourtunities to eat outside the home- I ate out every meal this weekend. Placed the earned my patronage included Sufficient Grounds (Across from Unit 3 on Durant), Steve's Korean BBQ (Durant Food Court), Yogurt Park (Across from Sufficient Grounds) and a new place I will highlight in this entry.

So my friend John and I started a very complicated quest for lunch this Sunday. Neither of us having eaten all day, he first suggests that we meet at Cafe Intermezzo (Dwight and Telegraph). However, like on most days at lunch, Intermezzo's line runs out the door and around the corner. So we hop in my car and head down University to look for Adoko (University and Sacramento-ish), which is an all-you-can-eat Japanese restaurant, which we find out is not open for lunch on Sundays, though it is every other day for a solid price of $10 or less. Since we are headed to the Fourth Street shopping area of Berkeley, we decide to just eat there- but we remembered the pricey selection from our last trip. At San Pablo and University, John suggested two nearby eateries that both sounded delicious. Everett and Jones BBQ has a little hole in the wall stand on San Pablo, turning right from University headed west. We go there first and discover that the line is atrociously long, with people looking like they've been waiting around for ages. So we book it and head across the street to the other side of University and the Cheesesteak Shop, a place praised by John's frat brothers.

I must admit I'm not a fan of the cheesesteak sandwich. I simply don't get it. Beef sauted with cheese, add pepers and onions. All the ones I've tried before (IB Hoagie, Steak Escape) have left me with a meh opinion of the menu item. However, the Cheesesteak Shop changed my conception of this food from Philidelphia. With 10+ varieties of cheesesteak (garlic, mushroom, pepperoni, bbq, bacon- to name some) and an equivalent chicken menu, the menu at the Shop can't be beat. Also available are a few regular sandwitches (vegetarian, italian), fries, onion rings and the like. I tried the original cheesesteak sandwich with fries and a medium drink for about 5.50 (with a Cal Student ID discount- show it to them at the register). The cheese was perfectly melted and there was an ample amount of beef. The sandwitch comes topped with green pepers and spicy red peppers, for a spicy and sweet mixture. Now, be aware that a 7 inch sandwitch is deceptively small, so order up if you are especialy hungry. The fries are made to order, good and served piping hot. There was no line when we got there, but soon people started showing up. Take advantage of the frecuent customer card and get free stuff. Another cute aspect of the little storefront is that they have the days sports page tacked up by the counter so you can eat and catch up on Cal basketball's dismal road record.

The CheeseSteak Shop definetely opened my eyes to the delicacy that is appreciated by frat guys the world over. While I still may never crave one of these things, I know where to go in case I ever do.

On a non-food note, but equally important- the North Face Outlet at Gilman and Fifth St. is having a MASSIVE sale. It's too late for you little girls (there were NO ladies smalls left when I went), but men's fleece and jackets are 50% already reduced prices. There are sleeping bags, backpacks, shoes and casual clothing at 30%-50% of too. I wish I could justify purchace of a new backpack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home